- The Monument c 1900
Martyrs’ Monument was erected in 1842 in memory of the Protestant reformers who had been executed in St Andrews some 300 years earlier, before and during the Scottish Reformation. Four of those who died have their names inscribed on this obelisk, which stands overlooking the sea on The Scores, just beyond the Old Course. A detailed information panel is also sited close to the Monument.
Find out more about the history and importance of the Monument on our sister website. In 2011-12, we raised £145,000 for restoration and repair works, which were completed in April 2013.