As you’ve probably heard, St Andrews has one or two golf courses! But you might not be aware just how many other sports and activities are also on offer. Here’s just a selection:
- Beach Sports – St Andrews West Sands is a popular location for sports including traction kiting, land yachting, beach kayaking, ZapCatting and more, with these activities normally taking place with a designated zone towards the beach’s northern end.
- Cycling – a network of cycling routes has been established both within St Andrews and across the whole of Fife, as part of the Kingdom of Fife Cycleways network. Bikes can be hired locally – from Spokes Bike Shop on South Street – allowing the more energetic to explore the beautiful coast and countryside.
- Guided Walking Tours – St Andrews offers a good selection, including Medieval Murder Mystery Tours, Mystical St Andrews, Official Old Course Walking Tours, St Andrews Phototours, St Andrews Ghost Tours, St Andrews Witches Tours, Scot Free Tours and Witches and Martyrs Tours. See also “Walking” below.
- Horse and Pony Riding –Barbarafield Riding School, a few miles inland, offers riding experiences for all ages, from beginners to experts.
Fun on horseback
- Putting – right beside the world-famous Old Course sits “The Himalayas” putting green (normally open April to September) where anyone and everyone can enjoy the experience of St Andrews golf, with absolutely no experience needed! Read this blog post about one visitor’s experiences in 2012.
- Skydiving – Just five miles’ drive from St Andrews, SkyDive St Andrews offers everything from beginner tandem jumps to accelerated freefall lessons.
- Surfing – you’ll often see enthusiastic local surfers at East Sands – feel free to join them!
- Swimming – Swimming from all of the town’s beach areas is generally safe, with gently-sloping sands running out to sea, but even we wouldn’t claim that the North Sea is warm! You might also consider East Sands Leisure Centre, with its indoor pool, flume and fun aqua inflatable, together with steam room, spa bath, gym, squash court and cafe.
- Running – St Andrews Running Tours offers a 5km scenic running tour of the town, with stops for information and photos.
- Walking – there’s a huge choice of local walks, and we’re planning to add a special walking section to this site in the near future. In the meantime, we recommend the Fife Coastal Path, a great way to experience Fife’s beautiful beaches and villages: start in St Andrews and walk north towards the Tay Bridges to experience the forests, beaches and wildlife of Tentsmuir, or head south in the direction of the East Neuk to enjoy fresh seafood and local art. Routes and maps for over 20 local walks are listed on the excellent (if somewhat misleadingly-titled) WalkHighlands website. If you’d like to stay within the town, an excellent St Andrews Walks booklet can be downloaded. The St Andrews and NE Fife Ramblers’ Association has an excellent website with another (easily printable) leaflet. See also “Guided Walking Tours” above.
- Water Sports – choose from a host of exciting activities offered by Blown Away (at West Sands in St Andrews), or – just round the coast – East Neuk Outdoors and Elie Watersports provide every imaginable water-based pursuit including windsurfing, dinghy sailing, canoeing, pedal boats, water-skiing and more!